Sunday, December 9, 2007
Ground Rules at Starbuck's
Who loves Starbucks? Of course, we all do. But those lattes and frappaccinos can REALLY expand your waistline if you're not careful... Can you believe that there are people who DRINK over 300 calories and 10 grams of fat every morning, and then grab a bagel to go with it? Unbelievable! Here are some basic ground rules (get it, GROUND? :) for you to set before you walk into your favorite coffee joint...
1. Always get a tall. It's all you need to satisfy your caffiene craving or to warm you up. The grande and venti simply provide calories (and money) that you don't need to blow!
2. Decide on skim. Every Starbucks drink can be made with non-fat milk. (Even hot chocolate!) This way, you get all of the protein, without the fat! And I promise you won't be sacrificing any taste either.
3. NO WHIP. You know if you order it, all you're going to end up with is a funny white line above your lips...and run into a super hot guy - or your mother-in-law - on your way out. Don't risk it.
4. Sugar-free eliminates additional calories. There are plenty of sugar free syrups available now - vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, cinnamon dulce, gingerbread...there's no exucse not to try one. Plus, if you like them, you can even purchase your own bottle of the stuff to have at home!
5. Try to be a Brit. Every once in a while, exchange your cup of joe for a spot of tea. Tea has many antioxidants, and it's a great way to spice up your normal diet, usually for zero to minimal calories, as long as you don't go too crazy with the milk and sugar. Infact, if you use Splenda and skim milk, your drink will only cost you about 30 calories tops.