Monday, December 14, 2009

Homemade Protein Bars


If you're like me, you're pretty picky about protein bars. There are few things more frustrating then heading to the store to discover the only kind of bar you like is out of stock....or reaching into your pantry to discover your husband ate the last one, and the only place you can order your bars is online. With my strenuous training schedule, protein bars are critical to my diet plan because they not only help fuel my workouts, but they help me make sure I am consuming enough calories so my workouts only burn carbohydrates and fat -- not muscle (protein).

Yesterday, I played around in my kitchen with ingredients I had, attempting to make my own protein bars. I was extremely pleased with the result. Sure, it's convenient to purchase protein bars rather than make them myself, but these are worth the trouble! Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1/2 cups oats
2 cups Kashi GoLean cereal
1/2 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
3 egg whites
2 mashed bananas
1 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoons nonfat milk

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat an 8x8 pan with non-stick spray.

2. Mix the oats, cereal, protein powder and cinnamon. Add peanut butter and stir until well combined. (Sometimes, heating the peanut butter briefly will help it mix better.) Add egg whites, bananas, honey and milk.

3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting into 8 bars.

Nutritional Analysis: One bar equals: 180 calories, 3.5g fat, 27g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, and 17g protein.

I'm still in the experimental phase with these, but I'm thinking so far that it will work best to store them in the freezer and move one bar to the refrigerator to eat that day. I will keep you posted if my method changes!

No comments: