I don't like to waste time anywhere - but it especially applies at the gym. This is why I'm a big fan of complex exercises. Why would I only work one muscle group when I could do more?
The dumbbell squat press may be the most efficient exercise out there. For starters, muscle groups used include: mayMuscles involved: Quadriceps, Gluteus Maximus, Erector Spinae, Rectus Abdominis, Obliques, Deltoids, Triceps Brachii and Trapezius. Not to mention because of the nature of the exercise, it has cardiovascular benefits as well as strength training.
Here's how to do it:
Step 1: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and dumbbells at shoulder height. Being sure not to round out your back, lower yourself down by pushing your hips back until you reach about 90 degrees of flexion in the knees. Your theighs should be parallel with the floor.
Step 2: Dig through your heels and press up out of the squat position as you press the dumbbells overhead. Lower the dumbbells back to shoulder height, which should take you you back to the starting position. Repeat.
Tips to remember:
1. Keep your abdominal muscles tight, and keep the chest lifted.
2. Don't let yourself look down. Looking straight ahead keeps your neck in line with your spine - always a good thing!
3. Always keep your knees behind your big toes.
4. Keep the press motion tight as if you're trying to punch the ceiling.
5. Remember that the bulk of your weight should be in your heels. This will help you keep your balance.
Oh, and side note - after today if you've kept up with the challenge, you will have done 700 pushups in a week! YES! Check back tomorrow for Part 2 of the the One-Week 100 Challenge.