Tuesday, March 3, 2009
SUPERGIRL Shoulder Press
Today's fitness programs tend to focus on functional fitness, which refers to exercise that simulates real-life activities and uses a wide variety of movements through a wide range of motion. This concept of “functional training” is mainly composed of compound exercises.
Compound exercises are multi-joint movements that work several muscles or muscle groups at one time. A great example of a compound exercise is the squat exercise, which engages many muscles in the lower body and core, including the quadriceps, the hamstrings, the calves, the glutes, the lower back and the core.
For anyone trying to get the most out of their training program, you NEED compound exercises. Why?
- You burn more calories.
- They simulate things you actually do in your daily life.
- You get a full body workout – only faster.
- They improve your balance, coordination, and reaction time.
- You will increase your joint stability and muscle balance.
- They help keep your heart rate up – so not only are you strength training, but you get a bonus cardio workout!
- Eventually, these exercises will help you be able to exercise longer with less muscle fatigue.
- With time, you will be able to lift more weight because you’ll be stronger!
- By improving balance and stability, these exercises decrease your risk of injury while exercising.
Here’s a great exercise to get you started: SUPERGIRL SHOULDER PRESS
(Men – don’t be offended. You can do SuperMAN shoulder press. I just wanted the pink logo on my page.)
Step 1: Begin by standing with your left foot flat on the floor and your right leg extended behind you, toes pointing down. At the same time, hold a pair of dumbbells at shoulder height, keeping your elbows pointed down. (Each time you do this exercise, you should use heavier weight.)
Step 2: Press the dumbbells upward in a shoulder press, while lifting your right leg (the back leg) straight behind you in a glute raise.
Step 3: Repeat Step 2 15-20 times. Repeat on the opposite side 15-20 times. You will feel this all over, but especially in your shoulders and glutes!